Thursday, July 12, 2007

What the morning rain brings :

18th July Thursday ~

It was a nice way indeed to wake up to a cold morning. It's simply a luxury to snuggle in one's own cozy bed while rain was pouring outside with the sky clothed in sheer darkness...

On such a lazy note, I woke up to a cold raning day expecting nothing but comfortness for this favourite day of mine of the week!

But

who would expect my day to be so hay-wired and laid with so much danger!

Well. .so this was how bad it has been:

The weather has been changing to a lighter mode by the time I left NTU for JI! But along the way, cars were many, jay-walker were handful but still such a sight was rare such that one might mistook this day to be either a weekend or public holiday!

And the mighty lord up there suddenly decided to give another round of washing up! This time, the rain came sudden and thunders with its partner lightning were much stronger and "powerful" than the last. By the time I step on the bridge linking Singapore and JI, it was simply a fog of whiteness. No amount of wiping on the screen would allow one to have a full view of her surrounding. I supposed we were like blind men in the wilderness of "JI", nothing to guide us expect the headlights of the cars in front of us. I have had numerous experiences in driving through such bad weather but never have I felt so insecure and scare before. Visibility was something one could not get. No prayers could help anyone placed under such situation. The only one who could help me, I suppose, was I, myself and I. Desperate as I was to get over with this journey, I paid my full concentration in steering and looking out for any "unwanted obstacles". And perhaps my hunch was right in such that just a few kilometers away from my destination, there were obstructions. It was almost 90 degree bend where the entrance to the bend was littered with the road-blocking-white-red-blocks. These huge tall blocks were scattered along the way. It was simply a Hercules’s task to remove all of them to make a way for an average size car to pass through. The instance I realized the pending danger which was thrown in my face, I simply froze. The only thing that could not have added oil to the raging fire was that there was no car tailing me. No sign of car driving in the same direction as I was. At that time I did not know if I could be thankful or cursing to the fact that ICES was located to the outer most part of JI. But at that moment, I did remember the wisdom of words told to me by someone I cared for. He had repeatedly told me these words so much so that they were embedded in me and that at such moments they naturally popped into my mind. To quote his exact words:

when face with a situation or a problem,

do not ponder over it with frustration or sadness,

for doing so will only add onto to the agony and pain.

The most important thing is to come up with solution.

When there is problem, there will be solutions.

It’s a matter of choice to know the solution and act on them!

I was indeed left with 2 choices:

1. To pull over and wait for help.

By the way I am a user of starhub, so you could have guess how the phone line connection would be.

2. To move on and drive over to the other lane which is meant for returning path

Oh by the way, just for information, the driving routes of JI are somewhat similar to the highways in Singapore. One road is meant for on going and another is for incoming. In the middle is the divider which is made up of tress.

And because at that particular bend, the on going route was still under construction, there were road blockers acting as the dividers to guide drivers along the way. Which in other words, with these blocks scattering onto the road, there was no more divider.

Thus, this clever me decided to pluck up whatever courage I have and drove on.

Because it was meant for cars driving out of JI, I was directly driving up to be head on head encounter with them. And blessed me, there were so many cars driving out from that directions. I wondered what they would have thought of this desperate looking female driving who keeping so close to the most outer lane (lane4) and driving in the opposite direction to them. And with that I drove on till I came upon this U turn path where I switch route to the on-coming one.

So on such a note, I reached ICES safe and sound. I felt like having sat on the edge of the roof of the highest building, having had a taste of what death would be like.

Anyway I was thinking since I had have such a bad morning, my afternoon and evening will be better but who would have guess the usual bad things took place with my data and experiments and apparatus. But by the day was over, I thought nothing to get to me anymore.

All I wanted was to get back to my cozy home. Back to the arms of my loving parents. And to let those I love know that I truly love them and care for them.

No comments: