Thursday, November 15, 2007

i only need this much help..

In my opinion, the problem with humans is that either we are not helping each other at all or that we are simply giving the "wrong" kind of help!
I have illustrated such problem with a saga which was forwarded to me from a friend. ..And oh coincidently, I can't help but be reminded of a little incident.. when I needed to go and download software to set up my printer. Being a pc idiot, with almost zero knowledge, I needed help to get the newly bought printer started..Somehow someone offered to do it and come and install for me. But I refuesed to get such help as I believe that so long I can get the link I am sure I will be able to figure out how things are done. Moreover, if such things were to happen in future, I would have had an experience in handling. So you see even for such small things, we can get wrong type of help. A small geture of help will do in this case but if given extra helpings then perhaps, one can't learn anything except dependency! don't u think :P

~


Once a friend of mine was getting off a train in the Cleveland Terminal, and a young man got off in front of him, carrying a suitcase in one hand and a cane in the other. The man walked awkwardly as he felt his way with the cane.
"May I help you carry your suitcase?" my friend asked.
"No, thanks, I don't need any help with the suitcase,"
came the reply.
"But if you wish, you may guide me up these stairs so I
won't run into anyone. I am blind and I have a new set
of artificial legs. But I've got to learn to make my
own way, you know."
When they got to the top of the stairs my friend took the young man rather firmly by the arm to guide him through the crowd entering the terminal. But the blind man stopped at once and spoke quietly:

"No, don't take possession of me, just guide me,
please. Put your arm on my shoulder; that's all I need."

Good words to remember when you help someone.
"Put your hand on my shoulder and just guide me, please...and not to clear away the crowd for me.."

1 comment:

Thyda said...

yes, it s difficult sometime. Sometime, I saw old ladies going down on the stair with heavy bag. I, naturally help them. But my japanese friend reminded me that some ppl do not want help or something.